Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Boom boom ackla lacka lacka boom!

It's time to take my eating old school...as in prehistoric. Yes, yes, it's true, I have been lured into the cave of the endorphin junkie, Crossfit obsessed, health nuts and made to join their Paleolithic Dieting cult. At first I fought it - I love my muffins and candy bars - but after a while, I acquiesced. I dug into my stone age closet, pulled out my leopard toga and matching hair bone, and Boom boom ackla lacka lacka boom, I was walking - rather eating- like a dinosaur!

It's been a week since a good friend convinced me to give the Paleo diet a try and I feel pretty good. For those of you who are scratching you heads saying 'What the f*@& is this crazy chick talking about?', allow me to explain;
The Paleo Diet is about getting back to our eating roots. The theory is that the advent of processing foods and preserving them has had a large influence on the obesity rate sky rocketing in the U.S. Back in the day, as in Paleolithic times (think cavemen with spears), people weren't fat and unhealthy, they were lean, mean, hunting machines. They had to be in order to survive. They didn't have the convenience of stalking the drive-through line at Mickey D's for a burger. Nope, they were trekking miles in bare feet to spear whatever they could and dragged it back for the hungry family. Dudes had to be fit, or they'd be dead. So what Paleo-pushers claim is that by switching to a diet of meat, fish, certain nuts, fruit, and most vegetables, that we can re-train our bodies from burning sugar and carbs for energy to burning fat and thus increasing fat loss and encouraging muscle growth.

Makes sense to me, so I'm giving it a try.

So far, I'm 7 days free of all carbs, all sugars, all dairy, and (hardest of all) all booze. Besides counting down the days until my first cheat day (this Friday!), I haven't had any unmanageable cravings, I'm not hungry, I'm become less bloated, and my energy levels have most certainly improved. I can eat all of the meat (as long as it's not processed -no hotdogs, etc), vegetables (with the exception of peas and their brethren), fruits, and nuts (but no peanuts or peanut butter). I mean, c'mon, any diet that allows bacon can't be all bad, right?! There are still rules about moderation with certain things, like the aforementioned bacon and the use of honey, but pretty much anything that our ancestors could get a hold of is fair game.

There are all kinds of studies that back up the Paleo diet, but for me, seeing is believing. A good friend of mine is a slim, toned shadow of her former chunky self and I've already dropped 5 pounds of blech in just a week of eating Paleo and hitting the gym a few times - She's seeing results, I'm seeing results, and life as a caveman is good!

Paleo isn't for everyone, but so far it seems like a good fit for me. If you think you might want to try going prehistoric too, check it out at http://thepaleodiet.com/about/. There are a ton of websites out there that list the specifics and studies and whatnots.

I'll try to get back here and repost in a few weeks about my progress, but I can't guarantee anything. For now though, if you need me, I'll be roasting a mammoth shank over and open fire and drawing on rocks with fruit paint!

Open the door get on the floor, everybody walk the dinosaur! http://www.jango.com/stations/113883071/tunein



1 comment:

  1. I've lost 70 pounds doing low carb. It works for me. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete